Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I have been sewing again - olen ommellut taas

Yesterday was an Activity-day for me (with a capital A:)). After I took my daughter to the dentist I started putting together a little cabinet I had bought for the loo downstairs. Ever since we moved here we have been looking for the perfect little storage thing to put in the corner but have not found anything suitable because the space is so little that the requirements are too high. But yesterday shopping for the little things you hang curtains with (on a rail instead of a rod) I just accidentally stumbled across one. Not surprising I bought it straight away. But, of course it had to be assembled... *sigh*... and I wanted to do it by myself because I wanted it to be there when the rest got home. I did it, and it was not too difficult (I am used to assembling stuff because we have a house full of stuff from Ikea :)) either.

When I got that done I started on the next task - curtains for Aki's classroom (he has his own driving school). Earlier we went shopping for fabric together and although I was a doubting his choice a bit (black and white checkered like the finish flags at car races) I sort of thought there was a point behind it (the car theme) so I did not air my feeling that the pattern was a bit restless. Good thing I didn't because it turned out great. I added three stripes down at the bottom to match the logo of his school and I also made two hoods for the practice computer screens. It took me longer than expected to make the curtain although it was just a straight seem because the curtain was about 10m long and the stripes had to be attached at both sides which meant 60 m of seam. I got it read just in time to rush to the school, lure myself in (key at the local photoshop they have a deal because students has to get in to practice even at times when Aki's out driving and there's no other staff) and hang the curtain. When Aki and the students got in for the theory class all was ready and I was wiping sweat off my forehead.

I will post a picture later, I forgot my camera in the hurry yesterday.

Eilen mulla oli Aktiviteettipäivä (isolla A:lla:)). Kun olin käyttänyt tyttäreni oikojalla aloin koota pientä kaappia jonka ostin alakerran wc:tä varten. Siitä asti kun tähän muutimme olemme etsineet täydellistä säilytystilaa kulmaan mutta emme ole löytäneet mitään koska tila on niin pieni että se nostaa vaatimukset liian korkealle. Eilen kun olin ostamassa verhonipsuja törmäsin vahingossa täydelliseen kaappiin. Sanomattakin on selvää että ostin sen siltä seisomalta. Mutta, se oli tietenkin koottava...*huokaus*...ja halusin tehdä sen itse koska halusin sen olevan valmiina kun perhe kotiutuu. Tein sen, eikä se edes ollut kovin haatava (olen tottunut kokoamiseen kun meillä on talo täynnä Ikeasta ostettua tavaraa :)).

Kun sain sen tehtyä aloitin seuraavaa taakkaa - verhot Akin luokkahuoneeseen (hänellä on oma autokoulu). Aikaisemmin kävimme ostamassa kankaan yhdessä ja epäilin hieman hänen kangasvalintaansa (mustavalkoruudullinen kuten maalilippu autokisoissa) mutta koska toisaalta ajattelin että sen takana on idea kun se sopii teemaan niin en sanonut mitään siitä että mielestäni se oli vähän levoton. Hyvä niin, sillä siitä tuli hyvä eikä se ikkunaan ripustettuna näyttänyt yhtään levottomalta. Lisäsin kolme raitaa alareunaan pysyäkseni autokoulun logon teemassa ja tekaisin samalla harjoitustietokoneiden näytöille huput.

Verhojen tekeminen kesti odotettua pidempään sillä vaikka kyse oli suorista saumoista verho on noin 10m pitkä ja kanttinauhat oli kiinnitettävä molemmista reunoistaan joka tarkoitti 60m ommelta. Sain sen valmiiksi juuri viime tipassa että ehdin rientää autokoululle, hommata itseni sisään (paikallisessa valokuvausliikkeessä avain sillä oppilaiden on päästävä sisään harjoittelemaan silloinkin kun Aki on ajossa - muuta henkilökuntaa kun ei ole) ja ripustaa verho. Kun Aki ja oppilaat tulivat teoriatuntia varten olin juuri saanut verhon ripustettua ja pyyhin hikeä otsalta.

Postaan kuvan myöhemmin, kiireessä unohdin eilen kameran.

No comments: